Iman Raeisi is an architect, lecturer, author and an architectural critic. In 1996, he received his diploma in mathematics and physics from a high school in Ahvaz and entered the graduate program in architecture at Islamic Azad University of Hamadan where he worked directly with Reza Daneshmir. In 2002, he completed his master’s thesis, “A New Space, A New Nowrooz”, under supervision of Reza Behbahani and co-supervision of Hadi Mirmiran, in which the main concentration has been on the sense of happiness in Iranian art and architecture. In the same year, he was selected as the scientific representative of the faculty of architecture at Islamic Azad University of Hamadan in order to attend the Third National Congress of Architecture and Urbanism Students in Tabriz, Iran, where he won the first place prize for designing his university’s stall in the congress. In this year, 2002, he commenced his PhD in architecture at Islamic Azad University, Science and Research branch, in Tehran. Having attended Manuchehr Mazini’s and Mohammad Zeymaran's classes in his PhD studies, he successfully defended his PhD dissertation, entitled “The Role of Critique in Directing Iranian Contemporary Architecture”, which has been supervised by Abdolhadi Daneshpour and co-supervised by Gholamreza Eslami, in 2009.
Since 2004, Iman has been a faculty member at Islamic Azad University of Qazvin where his lectures are mainly focused on design, history and theory of architecture; he has been an assistant professor of architecture since 2012. Also, for a period of 18 months, he has been head of the Department of Architecture, and in this period, he invited some outstanding contemporary architects in Iran such as Alireza Taghaboni, Hooman Balazade, Aqil Bahra and Ali Eta as visiting lecturers. Furthermore, Iman has been a visiting lecturer in various academic levels (Bachelor, Masters, and Doctorate) in Islamic Azad University, Central Tehran branch, Islamic Azad University of Karaj, and Shariyati University of Tehran.
Iman Raeisi started his professional co-operation with Naghsh-e Jahan Pars Consulting Engineers in 2001. Then, for a period, he joined Yahya Fiuzi and Associates Consulting Engineers and from 2004 to 2007 he set to collaborate with Aban Consulting Engineers as a project manager and architectural designer. From 2008 to 2016, he has been collaborating with Shora Consulting Engineers as a project manager and architectural designer. Besides, along withReza Behbahani, he established Amayesh-e Sarzamin-e Dirin Consulting Engineers since 2009; and up to 2014, Iman was a member of the board of directors and, the manager of architectural studio of the firm in which he designed various type of projects. Since 2004, along with his wife, Tara Toolami Moghaddam, he has established Office for North and Sought Architects (ONSA) where, beside his aforementioned responsibilities, he has pursued his professional activities in designing and supervision for some private clients, and taking part in architectural competitions.
In addition to his professional activities, he has been involved in the relevant non- governmental organizations (N.G.Os) as well: From 2002, he has had a close collaboration with Iranian Society of Architects where he has been a member of the board of directors and student’s chairman from 2004 to 2014, and moreover, Iman has held monthly seminars on “Introduction and critique of today’s Iranian architecture” from 2004 to 2008, in the Iranian Artists Forum. Also, as a member of cultural association of the institution, he has directly collaborated with other chairmen in order to hold several specialized seminars and conferences in the Iranian Artists Forum. Furthermore, Iman has been one of the Iranian representatives who attended the Union of International Architects (UIA) in Berlin (2002) and Istanbul (2005).
In addition to his professional activities, Iman has contributed to the architectural literature, collaborating with Iranian journals on architecture like Hoviyat-e Shahr, Bagh-e Nazar, Memar, Sharestan, Abadi, Memari va Farhang, Memari va Shahrsazi, Memari va Sakhteman, as well as several International journals in which he has published some academic journal papers. Iman has also published some books on architecture: in 2006, he published a Persian selective translation of Rem Koolhaas’ book, “Small, Medium, Large and X-Large” through Khak Publication which reached the third printing by 2014; in 2011, along with Hesam Eshghi Sanati, he published a Persian translation of Rafael Moneo’s “Theoretical Anxiety and Design Strategies in the Work of Eight Contemporary Architect” through Ketabkadeh Kasra Publication, reaching the second printing by 2014; in 2011, he published a collection of his own architectural works, entitled “Wool and Kicks of All Kind”, through Ketabkadeh Kasra Publication, which with its particular graphical representation by Farbod Faravardeh, can be counted as a new sort of book-journal publications on Iranian contemporary architecture. This book has been sold out in 2015; He also published the twin books of “Naghd-Baazi” (2013) and “Nazar-Baazi” (2015), including queries in architectural theory and criticism, through Ketabkadeh Kasra Publication. He also has collaborated with the publisher of “One Hundred Contemporary Artists” collection, Ketabkadeh Kasra Publication: in 2014, in company with Hesam Eshghi Sanati, he published “Herzog and de Meuron: Architecture’s Chemists”; and in 2016, he has published “Rem Koolhaas: The Paradox of Development and Destruction”.
Some of his other relevant activities are judging architectural competitions, giving lectures at conferences, and at seminars on lunching architectural books, writing architectural weblog, holding workshops on criticizing contemporary architecture in the Contemporary Architects Association, and supervising and co-supervising Doctorate and Masters Architectural theses.
2008- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Architecture
Islamic Azad University, Qazvin, Iran
2004- Principal, Office for North and South Architects (ONSA)
2001-08 Doctor of Philosophy
Islamic Azad University, Sciences & Research Campus, Tehran, Iran
1995-2001 Master of Architecture
Islamic Azad University, Hamadan, Iran
2014 Visiting lecturer
Islamic Azad University, Karaj, Iran
2013-14 Department head, Faculty of Architecture
Islamic Azad University, Qazvin, Iran
2010-11 Visiting lecturer
Islamic Azad University, Central Branch, Tehran, Iran
2004-05 Visiting lecturer
Shariati Technical University, Tehran, Iran
2003- Faculty member, Faculty of Architecture
Islamic Azad University, Qazvin, Iran
2001-03 Teaching Assistant
Islamic Azad University, Central Branch, Tehran, Iran
2009-14 Principal, Novin Shora Tarh Consulting Engineers (NST), Tehran, Iran.
2008-12 Principal, Amayesh Sarzamin Dirin Consulting Engineers (ASD), Tehran, Iran.
2006-07 Project Manager, Shora Consulting Engineers, Tehran, Iran.
2002-05 Project Manager, Aban Consulting Engineers, Tehran, Iran.
2001 Architect, Naghsh-e Jahan Pars Consulting Engineers (NGP), Tehran, Iran.
2004- Licensed Architect
Iranian Construction Engineers Organization, Iran
2010-12 International associate member
Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC)
2006-12 Editorial board member
Sharestan Quarterly on Architecture, Tehran, Iran
2003-04 Editorial board member
Sakht-o-Saz, Architecture and Engineering Design, Monthly magazine on Architecture &
Engineering, Tehran, Iran.
2004- 2014 Head of students association
Iranian Architects Society, Tehran, Iran
AWARD AND HONOR
2008 Honor mention, Office Building of Khuzestan Construction Engineering
Organization, Principal architect: Iman Raeisi, Public competition
2007 Researcher of the year, Qazvin Islamic Azad University
2001 Pavilion of Hamadan Islamic Azad University, 1st prize winner, 3rd Congress of
architecture students, Tabriz, Iran
2013-16 Zafaranieh Commercial and Official Complex, Tehran.
2011-14 Jahanshahr Residential Complex, Karaj.
2008-12 Kianpars Residential Complex, No.02, Ahwaz.
2007-08 Mr.Parchami’s Villa, Izeh.
2009 Ghasemabad Poly Clinic, Mashhad. (ASD Co.)
2008-16 City Hall, Yazd. (Shora Co.)
2007-09 Office Building No.01, Bojnourd. (Shora Co.)
2007-09 Office Building No.02, Bojnourd. (Shora Co.)
2003 Mr.Vassaf’s Office, Interior Design, Tehran.
2002 Mr.Vassaf’s Apartment, Interior Design, Tehran.
2001 Pavilion of Hamadan Islamic Azad University, Tabriz.
1998 Kianpars Residential Complex, No.01, Ahwaz.
ARCHITECTURE AND URBAN DESIGN SUBMISSION PROJECTS
2016 War Museum, Competition, Tehran.
2015 Tehran Mall, Collaboration with EBM-A, Tehran.
2014 Interactive Sky Pavilion, London Summer Pavilion Competition, 7th place.
2013 1100 Units in a Residential Complex, Qom.
2013 150 Units in Pardisan Residential Complex, Qom.
2013 Jordan Office Building, Tehran.
2010 Urban Design of Azadegan St., Ahwaz, (ASD Co.)
2010 Rice Research Center office building, Saari, (Aban Co.)
2010 Office Building of Jondishapoor University, Ahwaz, (Shora Co.)
2009 Soheil Residental Complex, Tehran.
2009 Reconstruction of Old Building of Saderat Bank, Rasht, (ASD Co.)
2009 Office Building of Khuzestan Construction Engineers Organization, Ahwaz, (ASD Co.)
2008 Yazd City Hall, Yazd, Constructed. (Shora Co.)
2008 Residential Complex with 120 house, Asaloyeh, (ASD Co.)
2008 Gate of Amirkabir’s University, Tehran, (ASD Co.)
2008 Center for Medical Documents, Shiraz, (ASD Co.)
2008 Aboumoslem Stadium, Mashhad, (ASD Co.)
2007 Irenji’s Park and Rahmatabad’s Gardens, Mamaghan, Tabriz, (ASD Co.)
2007 Gharden Museum of Shiraz, Shiraz, (ASD Co.)
2006-07 Twenty Office Buildings for new Province of Bojnourd, Bojnourd (Shora Co.)
2006 Carpet World Trade Center, Tabriz.
2005 Pakdasht Housing Complex, Varamin, Tehran (Aban Co.)
2005 Jamalabad Residential Complex, Tehran.
2004 Golsar Residence, Rasht.
2004 Cultural Center, Mashhad (Aban Co.)
2004 Commercial Building, Mashhad (Aban Co.)
2004 Bam Municipally, Bam.
2002 Tehran East Terminal, Tehran. (Aban Co.)
2002 Office Building for N.I.O.C., Tehran, Constructed. (Fiuzi Co.)
2002 Farmanieh House, Tehran. (Fiuzi Co.)
2001 Zafaranieh Residential Complex, Tehran.
1999 Maali-Abad residential complex, Shiraz. (NGP Co.)
1998 Land Mark of "Isar", Hamedan.
Iman Raeisi (ed.) (2016) Rem Koolhaas: The Paradox of development and destroy,
(Mashhad: Ketabkadeh Kasra).
Iman Reisi (ed.) (2015) Nazarbazi (Theory/Play) (Mashhad: Ketabkadeh Kasra).
Iman Raeisi (ed.) (2014) Herzug and De Meuren: The Alchemist Architects,
(Mashhad: Ketabkadeh Kasra).
Iman Reisi (ed.) (2013) Naghdbazi (Criticism/Play) (Mashhad: Ketabkadeh Kasra).
Iman Reisi (2011) Wool and Kicks, of any Kind (Complete Works of Iman Raeisi 1998-2008) (Mashhad: Ketabkadeh Kasra)
Rafael Moneo (2011) Rafael Moneo: Theoretical Anxiety and Design Strategies in the Works of Eight
Contemporary Architects, Trans. Iman Raeisi & Hesam Eshghi Sanati (Mashhad: Ketabkadeh Kasra).
Rem Koolhaas & Bruce Mau (2013) Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large (Selected Essays), Trans. Iman Raeisi (Isfahan: Khak Press) (First edition: 2006, second edition: 2008).
1. Iman Raeisi, Elahesadat Hosseini (2015) “A survey on relationship between privacy and interaction In Qazvin residential buildings”, Hoviatshahr 9:22, (Tehran, Iran) pp. 29-39.
2. Saeid Gilak, Kiomars Zende-Del, Iman Raeisi (2014) Turkmen Culture and Vernacular Architecture (An Investigation, Analysis and Comparison of Historical and new Fabric of Gomishan, Iran), Vol. 21s, No.1, Vitae Revista de la Facultad de Quimica Farmaceutica.
3. Iman Raeisi and Abdolhadi Daneshpoor (2011) “The content analysis of the critiques in architectural magazines of Iran: 1926-2001”, Hoviatshahr 5:8, (Tehran, Iran) pp. 39-46.
4. Iman Raeisi, A. Kharazmi Nezhad and M. Hafezifar (2010) “Architectural design principles of public spaces based on social sustainability approach: A case study in Ardabil, Iran”, Design Principles and Practices 4:5 (International Journal) (Illinois, USA) pp. 99-113.
5. Iman Raeisi and Abdolhadi Daneshpoor (2006) “The lexicological analysis of the term critic and synonymous words”, Bagh-e Nazar 3:5, (Tehran, Iran) pp. 31-40.
1. Iman Raeisi and A. Kharazmi Nezhad (2011) “Ardebil City Hall with Social Sustainability approach”, 24th UIA congress (Union of International Architects) (Tokyo, Japan)
2. Iman Raeisi and T. Toolami Moghaddam (2005) “The image of today Tehran’s architecture”, 22nd UIA congress (Union of International Architects) (Istanbul, Turkey)
MAGAZINE & BOOK ARTICLES:
1. Iman Raeisi (2015) “On Architectural Education in Iran”, Shargh Daily Newspaper, Oct. 2
2. Iman Raeisi (2015) “Idea, Difference, Development”, Published in the “Narratives of Avant-Gard” Book, Edited by Pooyan Ruhi, (Mashhad: Ketabkadeh Kasra).
3. Iman Raeisi & Maziar Ghasemi-Nia (2014) “Sociopolis” Me’mar 87 (Quarterly on architecture and urban design), October Issue.
4. Iman Raeisi (2014) “On Hernan Diaz Alonso” Hamshahri Memari 25 (Monthly on architecture and urban design), Spring Issue.
5. Iman Raeisi (2013) “How to put 70% of functions to 70% of forms? On Bernard Tschumi” Hamshahri Memari 23 (Monthly on architecture and urban design) pp.110-113.
6. Iman Raeisi (2012) “Learning from Gerilbao, On Frank Gehry” Hamshahri Memari 22, pp.96-101.
7. Iman Raeisi (2012) “Why architects get PhD? On Peter Eisenman” Hamshahri Memari 21 pp.83-86.
8. Iman Raeisi (2011) “On architectural critique” Hamshahri Memari 16
9. Iman Raeisi (2010) “Pritzker prize 1979-2012” Hamshahri Memari 15
10. Iman Raeisi and Kamran Bahmani (2009) “Surface and structure in facades of two Nader Tehrani’s projects”, Sharestan 25-26 (Quarterly on architecture and urban design)
11. Iman Raeisi (2009) “A Critic of the 8th Me’mar Award” Me’mar 54 (Quarterly on architecture and urban design)
12. Iman Raeisi, M. Abbaszadegan and A. Habibi (2008) “Space Syntax approach in analysis and design of urban spaces, Case study: Paeed Mahalleh district in Qazvin”, Abadi 58 (Quarterly on architecture and urban design)
13. Iman Raeisi, M. Abbaszadegan and A. Habibi (2008) “Social sustainability in housing”, Abadi 55
14. Iman Raeisi (2007) “Morphology of courts in Boushehr climate”, Sharestan 13-14
15. Iman Raeisi and Firoozeh Emami (2006) “Technology in Iranian contemporary architecture”, Abadi 52
16. Iman Raeisi (2006) “Critics on Bahram Shirdel’s new project: Shiraz World Trade Center”, Me'mar 39
17. Iman Raeisi (2005) “The critical approaches in Post-Modern era” Architecture and Construction 4
18. Iman Raeisi (2004) “Critics of new Iran's Parliament Building”, Architecture and Engineering Design 30
19. Iman Raeisi (2004) “Critique of new Iran’s National Library”, Architecture and Engineering Design 31
20. Iman Raeisi (2004) “Form Follows Action: Architectural critique of MVRDV’s works”, Architecture and Engineering Design 32
21. Iman Raeisi (2004) “Architecture competition or architecture award: Critic of grand Me’mar Award” Me’mar 31
22. Iman Raeisi (2003) “Formal approach to analysis of H. Mirmiran and B. Shirdel’s works” Sharestan 3-4
23. Iman Raeisi (2003) “On Shigeru Ban” Me'mar 20
24. Iman Raeisi (2003) “Five young architect” Me'mar 20
25. Iman Raeisi (2003) “Beyond surface: A critical approach to Herzog & de Meuron’s works” Abadi 42
26. Iman Raeisi (2002) “Void Field”, Abadi 36
2015 "On Reza Daneshmir & Catherin Spiridonov architecture", Qasr Museum, Tehran, October.
2015 "On Abbas Riahi-Fard & Farinaz Razavi-Nikoo architecture", Qasr Museum, Tehran, September.
2014 "4 Speech on Rem Koolhaas", With Arash Nasiri, Amirhossein Taheri, Arash Basirat, Contemporary Architects Association, Tehran.
2014 "4 Speech on Context and Architecture", With Arash Nasiri, Alireza Taghaboni, Arash Basirat, Contemporary Architects Association, Tehran.
2013 "On Mohammad Majidi architecture", Arasbaran Cultural Center, Tehran, May.
2012 “On Iraj Kalantari architecture”, Iranian Artist’s Forum, Tehran, April.
2011 “Daniel Libeskind extension to the Jewish museum Berlin”, Faculty of art and
architecture, Islamic Azad University, Central branch, Tehran, December.
2011 “Paradox of Rem Koolhaas”, Iranian Artist’s Forum, Tehran, July.
2011 “Deconstruction of Villa Dal Ava by Rem Koolhaas”, Faculty of art and architecture, Islamic
Azad University, Central branch, Tehran, June.
2010 “An Introduction to design methods in contemporary architecture”, Architectural education
congress, Ahwaz, 22 April.
2009 “Polyphony in architecture”, Polyphony in art congress, the Iranian Academy of the Arts, Tehran.
2008 “An introduction in Cognition of Architecture”, Congress for Architects Day, Bojnourd
2005 “Critical Regionalism”, Islamic Azad University of Qazvin.
2005 “Rem Koolhaas from 1995 to 2005”, Islamic Azad University of Qazvin.
2004 “On Guggenheim Bilbao”, 1st seasonal congress of Iranian Architects Society, winter, Iranian Artists Forum, Tehran.
2004 “Critique of Hadi Mirmiran Architecture”, 3rd annual congress of Iranian Architects Society, Iranian Artists Forum, Tehran.
2004 “Critic of contemporary Iranian architecture”, 3rd annual congress of Iranian Architects Society, Iranian Artists Forum, Tehran.
2003 “Beyond Surface: an approach to Herzog & de Meuron works”, 2nd annual congress of Iranian Architects Society, Iranian Artists Forum, Tehran.
2002 “On Shigeru Ban”, 1st annual congress of Iranian Architects Society, Iranian Artists Forum, Tehran.
1999 “Happiness in Iranian ancient art and Bakhtiari art”, Ayapir congress, Izeh, Khuzestan.
2015- Supervisor of 3 PhD. thesis in Qazvin Islamic Azad University and Karaj Islamic
2008- Supervisor of 45 MArch thesis in Qazvin Islamic Azad University and Shustar Islamic
2003- Supervisor of 350 BArch thesis in Qazvin Islamic Azad University, Shariati Technical
University (Tehran) and Sooreh University (Tehran).
2015- Advisor of 3 PhD. thesis in Qazvin Islamic Azad University.
2008- Advisor of 35 MArch thesis in Qazvin Islamic Azad University.
To view and download my portfolio, you can use the link below